Whether you get started with Roll Your Own by hand or machine, you're on your way to crafting the best smoke you've ever had in your life. Now that you've learned about selecting your blend, and choosing filters or tips, here's what you need to know to roll your first smoke.
Assemble your materials
You will need:
- Cigarette tobacco
- Rolling papers
- Filters or tips
I’d also recommend that you invest in a rolling tray, which will prevent you from potentially wasting any stray material that falls loose while rolling. The best trays are made of very high quality non-reactive metals or luxurious woods with high curved corners to ensure your product doesn't fall out. If you don't have a smoking tray on hand, use a sheet of paper or a magazine to catch the spillage.
How to roll a smoke using a rolling machine
When you're just getting started, a machine is an excellent companion to keep you stocked up while building your hand-rolling confidence. Rolling machines are handy manual devices that simplify the process of rolling a tight tube or cone. Dump some milled material and a filter into the slot, close the rollers to tighten it up, slip a paper in and roll — voila! You have a perfectly rolled smoke.
While they look simple to use, appearances can be deceiving, so here's a quick rundown of exactly how to operate one:
- Load up the machine. Open up the rollers. Put in a filter or tip and slide it to one side. Fill it up with whatever you’re smoking, but not so much that it spills over.
- Pack it in. Close the rollers back up again. Pick it up and turn both rollers toward you, using your fingers to keep the plastic taut around the inside so that the roll gets nice and tight.
- Add the paper. Insert a sheet of rolling paper between the rollers, gummed side toward you. Roll the paper in by continuing to roll towards you.
- Seal your roll. Stop before rolling it all the way in – you’ll want to leave a little sticking out so that you can lick it. Now roll it in the rest of the way, giving it a few more rolls.
- Open it up and marvel at your efficiently rolled smoke!
How to roll a smoke by hand
- Set aside time to practice. Hand-rolling is an art that you don't want to rush while you're just starting out.
- Watch how it's done. Start by watching the video above.
- Hand-roll your first smoke. Don't worry about how bad it is, you're going to do it again.
- Tear up your cigarette. Empty your material onto your rolling tray and do it again.
- Do it again (and again) until you feel confident in your ability.
- Hold up your perfect smoke and marvel at your newfound independence!
Next level: how to hand-roll a smoke on the go
When you don't have a steady surface to roll on, here's how to roll while you're on the go:
- Hold on to your product. If you're right-handed, put a cigarette's worth of loose material in your left hand.
- Ready your paper. With your right hand, take out a sheet of rolling paper and hold it in your mouth until you need it (careful not to get it wet!)
- Prepare your product. Arrange the smoking material in the palm of your hand in a long, thick line, then lay the rolling paper on top of it, glue side down.
- Put them together. Lay your free hand on top of the rolling paper, then flip both hands over, so the rolling paper is now below the material and ready to roll.
- Start rolling. Now you can roll exactly the same as you just learned how, and roll a workable smoke whenever the moment strikes.
Congratulations! Time to light up
Enjoy the fruits of your labour. Think of how impressive you'll be when you show off your new skill at parties, and the sexy strangers who might take notice.
That being said, don't cramp your style with inferior storage. We designed The Traveller case to keep your smoking essentials together in a compact space that you can carry through life. Upgrade your kit and you’ll be ready to roll wherever you go.